Thursday, June 2, 2011

Situational Leadership - Adrian Klemme

Identify your own unique capabilities (as was explained in class) that will help you to identify what specific leadership style to use when in different situations. Explain how those inherent capabilities will benefit you and your leadership responsibilities for this upcoming year of service.

My unique capabilities? Good question... I think I am able to accurately perceive what the needs of others are. I am able to judge their responses to my behavior and make an appropriate decision from there. This has really helped me to see what I can do for others. Since I am grounded in my own life, I am not swayed as much by the actions of others and I am able to expect certain principles. As a leader, I will need to remember to be forgiving when I need to be forgiving, but stern when life calls for stern actions.

Identify in your roles some of the Directive Behaviors and Selective Behaviors you will implement as you work with your ED teams. Categorize them into specific situations where you will use these behaviors and provide a brief explanation about how and why each behavior will be used in that capacity (example: Selective Behavior – Listening, Stewardship Meetings, to let my ED know that I value their feedback and input on matters relating to ……). You can do this in a list or matrix format.

Directive Behavior - Authoritative - Conducting Meetings - I will choose the format of our area meetings and expect that the executive directors follow my outlined structure. That way, our meetings will always be productive and they will stay consistent in their content as a meeting.

Directive Behavior - Driven - Delegation - I am determined about my ambitions and where I want to see them go, so I will ensure that when the actions of my EDs aren't moving in the right direction, I will help them to change.

Selective Behavior - Motivation - Middle of Fall - I feel the like the middle of fall is going to be the next time that I will really need to be the motivating leader on our team to help them be excited about what they are doing.

Selective Behavior - Listening - stewardships - I will listen to my EDs during stewardships because I really do want to know how they are feeling about life and what they are striving to accomplish.

Selective Behavior - Delegating - programs - I will trust my executive directors with the day to day decisions on their programs because that is how they will be able to grow as leaders.

Take a current assessment of the development level of your incoming ED team and identify which leadership style they will initially require from you when they begin in a few weeks. Provide a brief explanation of specific things you will do to help them know you are "relating" to and understanding their development level.

Josh - I don't know if this is possible, but I feel like Josh is currently in the Directing area, but somewhat in the delegating area. Josh has a very high level of commitment, but his competency is very high in somethings and low in other things. I am going to have to work to ensure that he is kept in check to know that he is not always right. Maybe humble him a little bit. :) I know there will be times that I will need to let him go with his ideas, but other times that I will need to ensure that he is properly following the vision.

Christina - I would trust this girl with my life. She is extremely competent and committed! I am so excited to see her as a part of my area. I would expect her to be similar to Josh in her levels of leadership needs. She is very competent in some programs, but less so in some other programs. I will need to be sure to let Christina know that I do love and appreciate her. She will probably need some coaching to feel like she is making a significant impact on SAC.

Amber - Amber needs a friend. I would say that she is probably in the same stages as the others as well, but my actions will probably be a little different. My hope is that I can be her support in life, but remember that I need to be the leader who can hold her accountable as an ED. The cool thing with Amber is that we have a certain level of trust already, so I am just going to let her fly and remember to keep her guided toward the group vision.

Jeff - He is probably the least competent coming into this position. I want to help Jeff to understand that he can make a significant impact on BYUSA by being diligent with his learning curve. I need to be sure to educate him on the proper ways to carry out his programs, and keep his motivation high!


No comments:

Post a Comment