Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Divine-Centered Leadership - Tommy Montoya

Explore you real motives and how they will impact your service.

I feel like I am often contemplating my real motive and how it fits into the big picture. I am motivated by my desire to serve. I have benefited so much by others and their effort to give, so I need to give back. I realized the other day how blessed I really am. I know I am a capable individual and I can accomplish anything I put my mind to. Because of my talents, I think I am held to a higher standard and expectation that I will use them for good. I am motivated because I want to be more like my Savior, Jesus Christ. Service is one of the best ways I know how to do that. I am motivated by the people we see come through the doors of the BYUSA office. I want to help improve lives and better the people here in BYUSA.

After reading "You are my Hands," relate it's principles to leadership in your area.

One of my favorite lines from this talk was where Elder Uchtdorf said, "True love requires action. We can speak of love all day long—we can write notes or poems that proclaim it, sing songs that praise it, and preach sermons that encourage it—but until we manifest that love in action, our words are nothing but “sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.”" I feel like I am really good at being a leader who speaks love, but I don't feel like I am very good at living love towards everyone. Some people yes, but 'everyone' is a hard group to conquer. I really want to focus on my actions this year and be better at openly loving those around me. Maybe it's just a tough day, but I need to be the Savior's hands way better. That is the only way I will be able to truly love those around me and give them what they need. My Savior was a perfect leader because he was able to recognize the needs of individuals and be a leader full of charity to all of them. Why is it that I struggle to show charity toward everyone around me? I want to manifest my love in actions way better than I have been.

Most of all, I think I struggle to act in this way with Ryan and having him as my leader. I want to be better at looking toward him and treating him with love. Mostly, I need to gain more trust in him as my leaders, so we can work together as the Savior's hands. This is my goal and my resolve. I will improve my relationship with Ryan so I can be on the same page as him as his friend and as his follower. I know I will become stronger as I seek to love those around me.

Create a "To-Be" list for you year in office.

I loved creating this "To-Be" list. Sam and I are actually meeting to create a weekly goal toward one of our "To-Be" list items. We can do it!!

I want to become... prayerful
diligent
forgiving
happy
charitable
friendly
confident
fun
adventurous
dedicated
driven
founded in faith
make people feel invaluable
organized
timely
good sister
good leader
disciple of Christ
missionary

No comments:

Post a Comment